Arashiyama


Arashiyama was one of the most wonderful places that I had visited while I was in Kyoto. I'd like to say it was one of the best places to visit in eastern Kyoto, alongside the Kinkaku-ji. The area is beautiful right off the bat, as soon as you get off the strain station it is evident with its wide open landscape and natural setting. There is a very rural sensibility about the place with no tall structures or a strong sense of commerce. 

There was a fair amount of things to see while I was here so I spent about 3 to 4 hours around this area. There was a temple, bamboo forest, reservoir and observatory that I was able to spend time around. Just to add some icing on the cake, the weather was awesome, so I was able to get some nice pictures. 



I'm not sure what this bridge is called, but when you see the pictures advertising this area, they promote it with a picture of this bridge. It is quite characteristic of this area and it connects the train station and the tourist district. 







The temple that I had visited was closed because I had arrived much too early. I wasn't all that interested in this temple because I had visited so many temples around Kyoto before arriving here, so I was kind of burnt out with shrines and temples. 


The picture above highlights the similarity of certain cultural aesthetics between Korea and Japan. At least this image by itself would have made me think I was in Korea. 


This Alleyway was one of the various entrances to the bamboo forest. The bamboo forest was one of the most recommended areas to visit when coming to Arashiyama so I made it my priority destination. I arrived around 8:30 AM and there were already like minded travelers already visibly taking photos. 





This shot was one of my favorites of this area. I really loved the tall trees alongside the endless train tracks. 









This reservoir area was a little past the edge of the bamboo forest area. 






This kitty was very photogenic and allowed for various snaps.


Not too far off from the bamboo forest, there is a very small hill. If you climb the hill there is an observatory point where you can get this beautiful view of this valley area. 





Comments