Jinju Castle


Jinju Castle was where I went to before lunch. I had a good three or four hours before lunch time so I had some time to spare. In my opinion there wasn't much to see and because of all of the lantern statues the classic feeling just was not there. It was actually really distracting to me. Mind me at night it was beautiful because of all of the lighting. The atmosphere was wonderful and the colors were so vibrant, but in the daytime they look very kitschy. There were some very traditional Korean architecture but it wasn't really my cup of tea. The history that revolves around this castle is pretty interesting and it dates back to 500 hundred years ago during the era of the Japanese Invasion of Korea. The castle played somewhat of an important role in fending off the Japanese troops during the first invasion but during the second invasion they fell to the Japanese. This defensive sequence in the era of the Japanese invasion in Jinju was called the siege of Jinju.    




I was surprised to find missiles in this castle. I thought missiles were very modern tools of war but apparently missiles made their way to Korea. Now that I think about it the term missile was a term used to some sort of flying projectile that bursts does major spread damage. These missiles were no different. There were apparently small pachinko pellets in these missiles so upon impact the missiles will burst and the sorry fold around the explosion will get a large number of metal pellets lodged into their bodies. 




This is an observatory. From this observatory you can see the view of the city as shown on the photos below. 








This shelter that I was in was very empty in the morning but after lunch it was packed with people. 





These wonderful ladies were serving free tea and korean desserts. 


This one is called Sul Dduk (술떡) which is a type of rice cake. 



The deserts above were completely new to me. Their texture was very jelly like and their visuals were extravagant. They were like little crystal jewelry, but they were edible! 



Here is a a group of friends that I met after lunch. This group were on a separate tour. I was unable to join them because of the capacity but I had the number of their organizer so at the least I was able to join then. Later at night we had some drinks and we played some awesome Korean drinking games. It was quite a memorable night. 




Korean folk dance troupe doing their thang. Again, I wasn't too interested in this dance. There are more upbeat folk dances that are much more entertaining to watch but for those of you that may think this is fresh, it may hold your attention for the time being. 

Comments