Prague Sketchbook - Good Food



This may have been another study on that one scowling sculpture that I drew. This one seems like I didn't have time to finish. I was browsing the gallery with a friend and I think I had to keep up with my friend. I kind of wish I had finished it. I can imagine the drawing having more dark shadowy areas around the right side of the image. The graphic text on the top right is written in Korean text. It says good food. I have no idea why I wrote down good food...

Now that I think about it, while I was in Prague, I had a variety of good tasting food. One meal that really left a memory in my taste bud department were gnocchis:


They were very chewy and pasty. They had a thick viscous texture in the mouth and it had a very floury taste. It was very filling and it was a great complimentary dish when eaten with various meat dishes. 

Another tasty dish that I had were Czech potato dumplings. These dumplings were steamed and they were usually served with gravy, meat and potatoes. 


The dumplings didn't taste like much when they were eaten alone, but they were very nice when you soaked it with the gravy. Generally Czech cuisine seemed to lack vegetables. They had vegetables in soups but I can rarely remember eating any forms of fibrous vegetation while i was there. 

Amongst Czech street food the ones that I tried were mainly a variety of sausages. Seriously, the Czech Republic was a country full of meat! I like meat, but nothing really felt traditional. It felt distinctively european but it was not much different from the usual, starchy, carb-y, meaty combination with the occasional beer. In the Czech Republic, some beers were cheaper than water, truly! So many meals were eaten with a pint of draft beer, whether in broad daylight or at night. What amazed me was that even with such a heavy diet I did not see a single person who looked over weight. I was guessing it was because these people walked around a lot, but still, how can you take care of yourself with such a heavy diet? It blows my mind! 


I had a lot of Budvar while I was there. It was dirt cheap! At least around 2007~08. Who knows how much it is now... 

Comments