Prague Sketchbook - Prague Adventure



The text graphic says Prague Adventure. I like the way this page has been laid out. It seems like it could be the opening title sequence of a movie themed in Prague. I'm pretty sure this drawing was not a landscape drawing of an existing place that I observed. I am guessing this was a study of an artists painting. There was a small artist brochure that I purchased after visiting the Jewish museum in Prague. I never heard of this artist until I visited the museum. He had a very distinct style which allured my attention. He had a very raw drawing element to his landscape paintings but he had a very good sense of lighting. He was called Adolf Kohn. He mainly painted the streets of Prague so his color palette is not very wide but he used light in an interesting maner. It really seemed like he understood the streets very well. There are a lot of earthen tones and greyed down areas within his paintings. Personally I would get really bored of just painting landscape paintings of urban areas but Adolf Kohn thought otherwise. I think some of his best works are the paintings that lacked figures. It wasn't like as if Adolf Kohn was putting himself out there to depict figures but he included them here and there. The images without the figure seemed to put more attention and focus towards the paintings. The ones with the figures seems to depict a sense of early morning before the streets are busy.

The internet didn't have many picture on Adolf Kohn and the pictures that they had were really small so I made a few scans from the book that I purchase. The text is in Czech so I cannot read it! I wish I could...





Comments