Upgraded Central Market



Central Market has been refurbished and has reopened around last month. I have never actually seen the original Central market during my entire life, and even when I used to walk from IFC through to Central along the walkway, above the ground level streets I had never really noticed the existence of the Central market. Ever since I had returned to Hong Kong around three years ago I had noticed there had been some constructions going on, but I had always thought the place to be an abandoned building. Of course when it comes to historical significance I believe it would have more meaning. I am generally positive about the idea of modernization, but at the same time I also believe that certain artifacts with historical or cultural significance should be respected. Maybe it shouldn't be left alone, but at least it's foundations should be kept healthy. I was collectively disappointed with the general populous of Hong Kong when the government had decided to scrap the old Star Ferry pier. The new one exists, but I mean the old one had such a historical significance to the people of Hong Kong. It really was disappointing to realize that it is no longer in existence except in photos, history books
and in the memories of those who were there to see it.

I suppose in a long winded manner I am trying to say that it was nice of the district government to preserve this classic building, but at the same time modernize it to fit the local market. I wouldn't present Central as being the most 'local' area in Hong Kong, but I guess at least they tried.

If I were to be critical about this market I would not call it a market, but more of a mall with a market/local theme. Most of the 'stalls' are somewhat trendy, and marketed towards an audience who is younger and has money to spend. If the travel restrictions start to loosen up I can imagine more tourists being attracted to this location.  




Random historical relics were placed around the area, just like the scale above.







I really liked these abbreviations.


On the ground floor was a nice open area. Most of the stalls were open restaurants or cafes.



If you enter the market through the ground floor areas you will be greeted by these wonderful light decorations. The main image introducing the article was on the opposite side of these lights.



This was the only area dedicated to the history of this market. It was a tad bit sad knowing that there was no information or historical references that could help educate visitors. I am hoping that this little area could develop into a mini museum, so that visitors could get more insight on the fading history of Hong Kong.

 

Comments