Sketchbook 2022 page 16


 From late summer of last year until the beginning of this year I was working at a secondary school. It was pretty far away from where I lived, and it took around 2 hours to commute. I would take the metro to Causeway Bay, and then I would transfer onto a bus. (The bus ran at a 30 minute interval so I would always have to wait for a good while before I could make the transfer.) During the long wait for the bus I would try and grab breakfast from any store that was open. It was usually a bakery or a local store that sold dimsum and buns. (It was usually around 7am when I arrived at Causeway bay, so many of the stores where just about starting to open up their shutters.) While I was munching down on breakfast I would walk around the narrow alleys in between the buildings. I called it an alley because it felt too narrow to be a road, but it was wide enough where vendors setup stalls selling touristy items. This is where I saw the signage above. I tried using Google translate to decipher the meaning, but the only part that seemed to make sense was 'kitchen'. The sign was made out of acrylic sheets that had been cut our and layered, and then it was framed onto a metal stand. The color scheme was reminiscent of Mahjong tiles consisting of mainly red, green and white. (The coloring was also one the reasons why I though it might have been a sign leading to a Mahjong parlor.)

Comments