Prague Sketchbook - Indonesia

 There have been quite a few posts with profile images of figures, and here is another one. This one is a bit more dramatic. The figure in the bottom is really trying to take on the monster head on. We may not know the outcome of this battle but for some reason it seems foolish to try and fight this beast head on, just because of the sheer difference in size. When I drew this beast I was thinking about the Asian masks. I think they were called Garuda's, and they have a mean looking face. I can't pinpoint the exact cultural location of these masks but I believe I saw them in Thailand. Usually around that geographic region you can see these masks. They also have interesting masks in Japan.





I went to google and searched for the Garuda and the location was Indonesia. I've never been there before but the Garuda is one awesome looking figure. Apparently the Garuda is a mythical bird-like creature that appears in Hindu and Buddhist mythology.




Comments