Sketchbook 2k9 - Kinetic Queen

The Prague Sketchbook series postings are now officially over, but where there is an end there is always a beginning. The following posts are from another previous sketchbook. As you can see from the title it is from the year 2009. I'm not sure if this is the correct date, but I am guessing the year from my memories. I can remember some drawings and the situation, or atmosphere that I was in while I was drawing it. This was during the time after I graduated from college and I was living with three other roommates. When I think back to that time, it was a very memorable experience. I really miss my roommates and hopefully one day I will get to meet them again. 

Here is a queen who just can't keep her head straight because her head is in constant motion. It's quite scary when you think about it because her head is in Dragonball sonic dodge mode yet she can still see us very clearly. I think the color pencils were an after thought because color pencils are not my go to tools. The spot pattern formations remind me of Seurat's Pointillism style. I do remember there being a Seurat exhibition in the Art Institute of Chicago. I think I wanted to experiment with this pattern making coloring technique, but I'm not sure if I really enjoyed the labor behind it. I'm a big fan of solid lines over points. I respect the style but I think it's only ever useful for certain effects. I like using this kind of point making style when I want to offer my drawings some texture. 




Comments