Takayama

"Takayama" is a city located at the Gifu province. It took about 6~7 hours by bus from Shinjuku. Luckily there was a toilet in the bus so no need to worry about any emergencies! The moment I arrived in Takayama I had a quick microwaved dinner at a convenience store. After my sad little meal I headed straight for the inn. The Inn that I stayed in were called "J-hoppers" which I highly recommend. They will give you a pin code that you can use to enter the building if you arrive late, but sometimes if you are unlucky, like me, then you will get the wrong pin code and you will have to hope someone is awake. Luckily one of the guests had heard me and opened the door. To my surprise he was my roommate for the night. We talked and we became facebook buddies! When like minded travelers get together, becoming friends is a really easy task!   


As you can see from below you can stay for a very affordable price for a very comfortable lodging. It is also very dark within the room if you turn off the lights so you better turn on your alarm if you need to get up in time. 




After looking at the area map of Takayama I realized that I should have just dedicated my whole trip to this area. I never imagined Japan to be very large until I actually started to travel. From one perspective the earth is a small world after all but from my perspective it's quite huge. 


Classic Fuji film shop. It had a very retro aesthetic that really appealed to me.


Some of the buildings here had a semi european quality to it.








It was very misty around the neighborhood which imprinted a fantastic fairytale like atmosphere. 





Sometimes I wish I had the Iphone function where you can take those panorama photos. For now I have to use separate images. *tears*








All around Japan they have these wonderful temples. Their design is so crisp and articulate. 




There was a small hill that you could climb. There were a handful of the villagers getting exercise in the early morning. Mostly old folk. They were very friendly and they never seemed to miss an opportunity to say hello. Small city folk are so much nicer than big city folk, at least from my experience. 













What surprised me was the row of temples connected to each other by just a few hundred meters. In Korea or Hong Kong you would probably see one, but here there were like plenty. I basically got bored of taking photos of these temples. 






Lucky me! I walked into town when they were having some kind of open market. There wasn't anything that really caught my attention except of this one hot bun. 



This is the hot bun store.


This is the hot bun. It was around $3 and It was so not worth it. I was thinking that I was getting some kind of country style hot bun but my expectations were too high. 




Baked rice cake skewers stall.



My expression seems like this is some good stuff but truthfully it was just glutinous carbs with soy sauce on it. 


See you some time Hida-Takayama. 


Comments