Asakusa

This post was supposed to appear before the Shibuya post for the sake of being chronologically correct, but the water has been spilt already so I'm just going to go with the flow. How the Japan travel story should have been posted was: 

Gunma -> Asakusa -> Shinjuku-> Takayama -> Shirakawa-go


As I got off the Ryoma express train from Gunma, Tatebayashi, I made my way out of the train station. 


As I walked out the first thing that caught my attention was the newly built Tokyo skytree. I thought I was short on time so I passed it but in hind sight I would probably have been able to visit it. During my trip alone in Japan I did some hardcore walking. I could imagine not being able to walk like this if I had come with some friends. 


I really like these oldschool looking buildings. It has a very european appeal to it but it is very petite, and I mean petite in the context of the Tokyo architectural philosophy of fitting into tight spaces, but still being able to appear appealing. 


Kaminarimon, the entrance to Senso-ji


The entrance gate is known for its large lantern but...It was under construction. *tears*


As soon as you pass the gate you are greeted by Nakamise-dori, the shopping street that leads you towards Senso-ji


A cat wearing a kimono drawing calligraphy. 



Well, well, well. Look who we have here. Master Roshi has seen something. (more like someone beautiful.)


Toy heaven. My grandma tells me that I used to cry on my back, on the middle of the pavement where everyone is watching, if parents didn't buy me the toy that I wanted. Yep. I was pretty spoilt. ^^:



Another gate.


Temple



Aha! Here is the poor mans lantern. At least I got my lantern pic.


I have no more regrets.



The main temple, Senso-ji.


Another Temple. 


Giant sandal thing. I am starting to feel a trend amongst the photos. (I have no idea what some of these traditional temples and other objects are called...)


People praying after they absorb some incense. 


People praying after they absorb(?) some water.


Still till this day I wonder what this is?


Behind the glass casing there were priests praying, so if you can imagine, as we get closer to the temple from the gate, you can start to hear the priests synchronized humming. 


Many of the temples that I had visited there were wells full of flowing water and you could pour some water to wash your hands or do what ever. At the least I thought you could do whatever... As the image directs, 




The longer you stay in Japan the more you realize they have a lot of these indoor markets stretched from one end to another. 


Woah! 


I met my long lost brother here. 


As I was walking along the area I took a detour into a lonely looking street. As I made my way across the street I saw some really awesome designs on the store shutters. I didn't know what to classify the art as. It certainly isn't graffiti, unless it wasn't done with the owners consensus, so maybe it could be a mural? 







Has anybody seen this man? I've always wondered why the Japanese depict thieves wearing pieces of cloth across their head and leave just enough cloth to cover their nose. If I saw that kind of thief I would think or at least presume that thief is screwed because I will almost 100% of the time recognize the thief.



Okay. Only if I saw the thief right in front of my face...



I'll stop right here.


More thief pictures from the internet. 




I saw a piece of golden poop on a building, and its gigantic!


Off to Shinjuku~~~~~~!!!



Comments