How I work using watercolors

I usually work with watercolors by doing these three simple steps.

1. I will do a bunch of warmup sketches in my sketchbook until I find something that I like. Sometimes I will find a drawing that I would like to work with in one go and sometimes I will just go through page after page until I find something that I like.




2. I use a pencil to sketch the image onto the paper that is eventually going to be my final product. (sometimes I will ink my work) On most occasions there are extra details or minor tweaks involved during this process. During this part of the process I have to be somewhat careful because I wont allow myself to use the eraser. If I do make a mistake I usually leave it as it is. Most people can't tell because they think some of those mistakes were intentional. (Definitely mistakes!)




3. I'll use watercolors to color in my work. During this last stage of my watercolor works I have to be extra careful because watercolors are one of those materials that cannot be covered up. Most of my color schemes are not planned, and generally they are all chosen on the fly. (Sometimes I may do a photoshop test but the digital aspect is almost non existent) This part of the process is one of THE MOST frustrating aspects of my work but at the same time it can be very satisfying.



Comments