Sketchbook 2k15 page 54


Landscape pieces pop up from my sketchbook every so often so usually they are exceptions. This piece, I really like. It makes me think about my home town, Korea, and it also makes me think about Japan. If you watch Japanese media, you may come across scenes where the characters would meet on a road beside a river bank, and right beside and above them there are pillars and then a bridge above them.





The images above are pretty typical anime settings but these locations can be found anywhere in Korea as well. These scenes make me feel the feels for some strange reason whether I'm watching it through the media or when I am passing by a river bank myself. Something about the riverbank and pillars give me a strange, fantastic feeling.

The drawing from my sketchbook is supposed to represent a pillar of a bridge that was incomplete during construction. It makes the image feel desolate and abandoned, but at the same time it feels free and peaceful. Only a relic of the past remains. In some ways it reminds me of the beginning scenes to 'Spirited Away'.


Comments