Sketchbook 2k15 page 64


This is more of a spaceship design than it is a robot design. I was inspired by the designs of the spaceships from the video game "R-type". One of the key points in it's design that makes it unique is the way its canopy (The glassed area on the front) is designed. The round curvature being stretched all the way out in front of the ship seems ineffective but aesthetically it looks sleek and beautiful.

I never played the game to the end but I've tried my fair share of it. It was way too difficult of a game for me, and I'm not very good at sidescrolling shooters either. I did once see a man, when I went to Tokyo for a holiday trip, in an arcade, playing something like R-type and beating the shit out of it. I can still remember it clearly because of the intensity of the way that the guy was playing the game. He was literally hunched over the machine with his face almost kissing the monitor, the contents of the video games flashing on his face, and the only body parts that were in motion were both his hands. He was literally dodging everything and not dying. He also had an audience around him, as if to announce a performance was in session. Nowadays you can watch videos of people owning these video games but watching people do this in person is a whole new experience.



R-type isn't a type of game that I would consider to be my favorite gaming experience but what I love most about it is how they mixed mechanical space warfare with organic alien material. There are some really strange and bizarre monsters, especially the bosses, that would have lead uncomfortable nights of sleep when I was a kid. Looking back at it now I think they are really cool! 


WTF is this abomination! 

Comments