Friendly Story

Today I met a friend from Macau. He is a priest. I met him while I was staying in a religious house in Macau. I only stayed for a month and it was supposed to help me heal my soul. It kind of helped actually. I was a bit shaken up back then because I was caught smoking pot. I didn't think it would be such a big deal but back in Hong Kong the laws are different. I got away with a misdemeanor but my parents were very disappointed. This was probably the lowest point in my life because I didn't have much of a job or a life. I was making pocket money by tutoring kids and I made very little art. I was uninspired by life and I felt very empty. This episode was probably a good thing because it led me to the religious house and the priests really accepted me for who I was, even though I was not a very religious person. They did not push any of their ideas onto me and they just let me be me. If this episode in my life had never happened, then I would not have been here in Korea working as an English teacher and I would not have had the opportunity to meet a good friend. 

As I get older friends are harder to come by. Good friends are a needle in a haystack. However, when you do get an opportunity to meet a good friend, even if it is for a day, nothing makes you feel better. This good friend made time to meet me and I felt deeply appreciated. I am not who you would call a socialite, but when I get my opportunity to meet someone significant in my life there is no better feeling. 

I hope every has one good friend in their heart because that friend will always be thinking about you at some point and just that can make your life worthwhile. 

Comments