Tin Shui Wai Random Walk


Continuing on from Ping Shan, once I walked past the temple area, I was greeted by an isolated industrial area. I used the word isolated because I wasn't quite sure if this area was abandoned or not. It felt like it was emptier than it was full, but the remnants made it feel like at one point things were happening around this area. The wooden cargo boxes that were piled up beside the building made it seem like there were hints of life around the building, but the weathered facade made it seem like it was not longer in use. The factory building was also a transition point where the nature, and smaller, town-like atmosphere started to recede, and taller, city like infrastructure started to take its place. 

Tin Shui Wai was a unique place for me, because considering my heritage being influenced in Hong Kong; thinking that I would know Hong Kong very well, but I was mistaken in my understanding of it. I felt like once I really dived into the nooks and crannies of Hong Kong there was more that I was unaware of. Like for example the KCR, which is a light rail, tram like service. On the Hong Kong island side this kind of transportation is unavailable, but over here around the new territories area, this mode of transportation is a viable option. Also, there are bike roads and people visibly bike around more, because there seems to be more distance between places around the New Territories. 

My walk was not supposed to be a random walk, and I did have a destination. I was trying to rely on my instincts, but they had failed me, and eventually Google maps was there to aid me. I was trying to get to my next location which was some kind of a marshland area, but it was considerably further away than I had anticipated. I was taken to somewhat random locations with 'bizarro,' hybrid Korean, Japanese, Chinese grills with water park like themes, and I was caught in between large trucks which seemed to belong to one single logistics company. I met a woman who was trying to find her lost dog, and I even came across what I thought was a dead body, but upon closer inspection found out that it was an abandoned sex doll. 

I felt like I was lost in some strange Hollywood set piece; wondering when I would ever get to my destination.      




















Comments