Sketch No.38 (Urban Series 13)


Sketch No.38
59.5 x 45 cm
Acrylic on canvas

I have been fascinated by storefronts ever since I set my tiny baby eyes on one. The text fonts and graphic signs, the products, the colors, the characters, logos, language, culture and so on. I want to call store fronts a portraiture of someones product. I may not always want the product, but the storefront sets a precedence for me to be interested in it. It's kind of like falling in love at first glance, but keeping the mystery present by crafting it into an art work.

This one was also created during one of my random walks around Hong Kong. This was probably created while I was still unemployed and I was going on a lot of long walks around Hong Kong. I went on these random walks because after living abroad in South Korea, and then returning as a thirty something year old, I had realized that I really didn't know much about Hong Kong except for my memories during my developmental stages up until my teenage years. I had traveled a lot while I was in Korea, and I wanted to grab this opportunity in Hong Kong to really explore the greater areas around Hong Kong. I believe I came across this store (or maybe elderly home) while I was  on my way to Tin Shui Wai. I was either walking to, or walking back from a wetland park located around that area. I kind of got lost, and Google maps was going bonkers, so I had to rely on following the MTR light rail railway tracks. As I followed the tracks I came across this fancy little place. I immediately took a snap, and when I got home I went to work. The tree was included in this composition because I honestly thought that without the tree, it would not have been so interesting to me, from the very beginning.  

Comments