Lamma Island


Lamma island was a place that I felt like I had visited before when I was younger, but at the same time it also felt like I had never been there before. The setting was familiar in terms of Hong Kong island life, but I could not recall any memories about this place except for the name of the island itself.

This day was the last day of nice weather during my long holiday, and it was sad in hind sight. I would have loved to have more clear weather days, and who else wouldn't. Having nice weather during a workday is unfortunate, but having poor weather during a holiday is even more unfortunate. Who am I kidding though, because a holiday is better than a work day by miles.

The ferry ride to the island was not too difficult. I took the metro from Tung Chung to Central, and then I walked over to the ferry pier and transferred over to the Lamma island ferry. It took about 30 minutes to get there, so it wasn't a very long commute. When I had arrived I was unsure about where I should be going, because I had not done any research about the place. All I knew was that there was a tourist map telling me to follow a trail path which would eventually lead me to all of their popular tourist attractions. Of course I did not do any of this because I was more interested in the unpopular parts of the island, so I ended up straying from the path. Unfortunately during this instance it was not a good option because this island seemed to have been designed to be more of a residential district that anything else. You really do have to follow the recommended path or else you end up in the middle of nowhere. I learned this the hard way.













Up to about this point I was struggling because I had decided to be the odd one out, and I had spent about 2 hours walking around gulping down my water resources. (It was a very hot day.) I had found a nice, wide, but strangely designed road where it was easy for vehicles to traverse, but for the feet of the average person it was a semi-disaster. This was because each brick had a hollow area just wide enough where if you stepped on it, your feet would get stuck, so you would have not choice but to step on the widest looking areas to step on. This went on for a good 30 minutes before I was back on the tourist track. 






After this point is where the incline starts to creep in, and you would have to put on your climbing caps. It honestly wasn't a difficult hike, but there wasn't much shade, so during a sunny, and hot day like this day, it was pretty gruesome.







Once you get to about this point of the hike is where you would be descending. It is a very nice view, and there is a goo reason why a pavilion was built there.









There wasn't much to do around the ferry pier, unless you were planning on getting freshly cooked seafood. It was a weekday, so the restaurants were not very busy. There were not too many customers either, so the idea of eating anything wasn't very appealing. I do have some memories eating some wonderful seafood around these Hong Kong island districts, but I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money by myself. 


By the time I had returned to Hong Kong island the sun was setting. As I was walking along the coastline I was passing by many of the local residents jogging and strolling around the harbor, trying to maximize their day. Unfortunately, for me this was the end of the clear blue skies, and the beginning of the rainy and cloudy weather. I spent the remaining days of my vacation stuck around my neighborhood wondering what else I could have been doing if it wasn't for Covid.

 

Comments