Sketchbook 2022 page 9


While I'm posting this drawing, interestingly a Youtube video about America's chicken obsession is playing in the background. 😂

This mech drawing is of a toy from the series 'Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan,' which is a Super Sentai series, also known as  Power Rangers in the west. I'm pretty sure this variation of the series was never localized in the west, because it was televised many years before the Power Ranger brand was established. Personally I also never watched this version of the Super Sentai series, but I was a big fan of this type of media when I was a kid. The formula of teenagers morphing into spandex clad super heroes, eventually handling giant mechs, and fighting equally large monstrous creatures kept me jumping on my parents couch for countless afternoons.

I tried to create a sense of laying through the use of graphic text. I was trying to make it look like a poster, advertisement or maybe even a magazine cover. The robot is supposed to be the main focus, and then there is a layer of text that is either placed in front of it, or along side it, and then there is a graphic element that rests behind it, giving it a sense of background. 

 

Comments